Monday, May 15, 2006

Stanley Kunitz dies at 100

Former poet laureate Stanley Kunitz is dead. I once did a report on him and even wrote him a letter to which he never responded. But I still like his poetry. I'm sure he will be missed by the poetry world. Here is a link to an article about him:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12801949/

Here is a poem:

The Portrait by Stanley Kunitz

My mother never forgave my father
for killing himself,
especially at such an awkward time
and in a public park,
that spring
when I was waiting to be born.
She locked his name
in her deepest cabinet
and would not let him out,
though I could hear him thumping.
When I came down from the attic
with the pastel portrait in my hand
of a long-lipped stranger
with a brave moustache
and deep brown level eyes,
she ripped it into shreds
without a single word
and slapped me hard.
In my sixty-fourth year
I can feel my cheek
still burning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the poet laureate quality has been
a hit and miss proposition as far
as quality is concerned. give me
kunitz, pinsky and gwendolyn brooks

8:21 AM  
Blogger Relief Map said...

Fistfulls of love from the land by the lake.

Keep a lookout for mail.

Send poems when able.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even in death kunitz triumphs over
a lifetime of adversity with the written word. his poetry has made him one of the immortals.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home